We invented an award-winning approach to improving legal and business processes – faster, together
We created the Legal WorkOut® to help people collaborate and achieve rapid and lasting improvements.
The Legal WorkOut® is our own, unique method that was developed by carefully selecting what we discovered works best for teams to collaborate in a legal environment and then employing those things for FAST results. We combined different approaches to PI and PM, mixed in some Design Thinking, and created a novel framework that supports teams who are working together to achieve accelerated process improvements.
We help you select cross-functional, cross-organizational teams of legal and business professionals (and clients, legal departments and law firms) and the specific processes they will work on improving together. Business processes, such as intake or billing, or legal processes, such as contract negotations in transactions or subpoenas in litigation, are reviewed and improved by the people who experience them at various points and from different perspectives.
The people who are closest to where the work is being done always possess great insights about what is actually happening. They also have ideas about what steps or tasks could be done differently. The Legal WorkOut is designed to harness the power of the primary stakeholders to produce positive results – for everyone.
After we prepare, we have the first of two workshops. In each, we integrate training, new tools, facilitation, and team work in a “hackathon” type event. Using our framework and supported by our facilitation, participants collaborate to innovate, identify quick fixes and longer term process improvements, increase efficiency, and deliver greater value in a way that benefits everyone.
The teams make recommendations to decision makers and get “Go” or “No Go” decisions in the room. This means, we start getting the “work out” of the process the same/next day. After about a month of work and data gathering, the teams return for a second workshop. This builds in accountability and includes report outs, additional training, and more facilitation to determine next steps as well as set the stage for longer term improvements.
What do participants say? “We have never worked better together.”
Benefits of a Legal WorkOut®
- Reduces costs, increases quality, speeds up cycle time
- Unleashes the existing know-how and creativity of the people closest to the action
- Breaks down barriers and smashes silos
- Creates a positive and productive structure for people to be heard and bring their ideas to the table
- Bias is speed to action and results – not as much data, study, research, or root cause analysis as a traditional approach
- Draws on people’s knowledge, experience and creativity to produce quick successes
- Addresses pain points and generates enthusiasm
- Provides a framework to empower people to improve their work life
- Process focused group activities are a way for those with knowledge of specific aspects of a process to contribute and bond
- Map how the process works as a whole creating new “a-ha” moments and insights from even very experienced professionals
- Share ideas and creates momentum and a clear path for moving forward
Find out why the Legal WorkOut is a multiple award-winner and the reasons why the Legal Lean Sigma Institute enjoys the singular honor of being the only legal industry recipient of an award ever made by the Process Excellence Network.
Interested in the Legal WorkOut® Case Study?
Framework For Immediate & Longer Term Improvements
The Legal WorkOut was awarded Best Business Transformation Process at the OPEX Week: Business Transformation World Summit 2018. This award recognizes breakthrough business change. Top entrants were judged on the ability to prove their strategic and functional results, as well as clarity in execution, communication and sustainability throughout the process. The Legal Lean Sigma Institute is the first from the legal profession to enter and win this prestigious award.
This approach has also produced awards from the Association of Corporate Counsel (Value Champion 2016), Financial Times (Innovative Lawyer’s Short List 2017), and Legal Marketing Association (Your Honor Award 2018).
key results of a Legal WorkOut® case study
- Three teams were assembled to work simultaneously on multiple processes.
- Lawyers and business professionals from a global law department and a primary outside law firm participated in two, in-person workshops. Some were just meeting face-to-face for the first time despite having “worked together” for years.
- Teams broke out of siloes, learned the fundamentals of Legal Lean Sigma® and project management, and were empowered to generate recommendations for rapid improvements. Go/no go decisions were made the same day.
New Skills & Vocabulary
- Facilitated the ability to work collaboratively.
- Enabled critical conversations.
- Harnessed best practices and the expertise of the cross-functional team.
- Provided process efficiency and capability insights.
- This “eye-opening” resulted in teams identifying immediate improvement opportunities that delivered value to both organizations.
- No one person had knowledge of processes as a whole before.
- Pricing and staffing were easier.
- Example: a senior law firm partner originally estimated a process had 12 steps. After mapping, 52 steps and 17 possible handoffs were found.
- Respect and appreciation for individual efforts increased.
- Unleashed know-how and creativity.
- Billing Process
- Decreased total dollar amount of rejected invoices by 41%
- Faster Review: 39% overall reduction in time
- Reductions in rejected invoices in 9 months
- 43% overall
- 72% for incorrect setup
- 56% for wrong matter ID
- 66% line items for wrong matter ID
- Subpoena Process
- Improved legal outcomes
- Decreased average cycle time by 44%
- New dashboard
- The tailored approach to the legal profession, experience, and results made the case to professionals known for their skepticism
- Program expands to other opportunities in the law department and wins awards