News & Resources
- The LegalWorkOut – Using Process Improvement to Enhance Efficiency and Client Relationships. A Legal Lean Sigma Institute program with Catherine Alman MacDonagh, JD and Audrey Rubin, JD 4.19.23
- Performance Metrics Dashboards: A Powerful Management Tool. A Legal Lean Sigma Institute program from Frederick J. Esposito, Jr. MBA, CLM 10.25.22
- Process Improvement and the DEI Connection: A Conversation with Ray Williams, former National DEI Partner, DLA Piper 12.2.21
- Leading Process Improvement & Innovation with Kyla Sandwith 10.21.21
- Process Improvement and the DEI Connection: A Conversation with Nichole Barnes Marshall, Vice President and Chief Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Officer for Bath & Body Works by Audrey Rubin 10.12.21
- Process Improvement and the DEI Connection: A Conversation with Linda Clark, Managing Partner, Kean Miller – Date: Jul 14, 2021 11:10 AM Eastern Time (US and Canada). To access this complementary program led by Merry Neitlich and Audrey Rubin, please use passcode: cx1*Hy=6
- On 13 July 2021, Centre for Legal Innovation launched a new Innovation and Legal Ops Leaders Special Interest Group (formerly the Chief Innovation Officers Forum) – part of CLI’s Legalpreneurs Lab – with this two-part workshop with Catherine Alman MacDonagh, CEO and Founder of Legal Lean Sigma Institute – WATCH HERE!
- The Case for Improving the Timekeeping Process – A short tutorial from the Legal Lean Sigma Institute LLC (www.LegalLeanSigma.com) on how to develop a business case for improving a timekeeping process
- Legal Management Talk: Learn how firms can foster efficiency to increase value to clients and gain competitive advantage
- Interview with Legal Lean Sigma Institute – Panache Software Panachecast: This week we have a star-studded line up with three outstanding guests. Catherine MacDonagh, author of Lean Six Sigma for Law Firms and the founder and CEO of the Legal Lean Sigma Institute, Fred Esposito, COO of Rivkin Radler and financial, strategic and operatonal management executive. Fred’s work has been published by the American Bar Association, Thomson Reuters and Bloomberg. Mo Zain Ajaz, COO for Legal and GC at National Grid, recognised by the FT for his work in-house work, and founder of Lex360.
The Lean Arm of the Law – Louisiana Law Firm Embraces Lean Six Sigma to Streamline its Processes
ElevateNext interview with Catherine Alman MacDonagh, CEO, Legal Lean Sigma Institute: Q: What do you predict will be the two biggest changes in the legal profession as of 2025 and why? First, in 2025, anyone can be a law firm owner. Why? Because we all recognize that lawyers are not necessarily the most qualified people to run a business.
Collaborative Improvement by Catherine Alman MacDonagh and Thomas L. Sager
An Introduction to Lean and Six Sigma for Law Firms – on JD Supra
At the Intersection of Process Improvement and Project Management by Fred Esposito and Catherine Alman MacDonagh on Legal Executive Institute
The Rise of Lean and Six Sigma for Improving Legal Service by Connie Crosby
Applying Efficient Strategies to the Legal Department
Is Lean Sigma an Alternative to Alternative Fees?
Law Firms Look to Improve Processes, Make Billing Predictable for Clients
Parker Poe Teams Up with Clients to Increase Efficiency (Yellow Belt Certification Course)
Poyner Spruill Redefines Attorney – Client Collaboration (Yellow Belt Course)
Firms Replace ‘Random Acts of Entertainment’ as They Focus on Clients’ Needs
The Hunoval Law Firm’s Use of Six Sigma
Clifford Chance White Paper on Continuous Improvement
Six Sigma Legal Services for Mortgage Loans – Morgan Lewis Case Study
Six Sigma, the Discovery Process and the Corporate Legal Department
Running Lean. Law departments are making it work in today’s economy.
Process Improvement in a Changing Legal Landscape
The Three Approaches to Process Improvement by Law Firms by LLSI
Do you know how much effort it really takes to do and deliver your work? How are you tackling pricing? Measuring profitability? Watch “Making the Case for Improving the Timekeeping Process” tutorial by CEO Catherine Alman MacDonagh, JD.
Recent Media Mentions
Legal Lean Sigma Institute selected Top 10 in Organizational Development by ManageHR – Read the Article
Suffolk Law School – Legal Innovation and Technology Certificate / Process Improvement & LPM Course Process Improvement and Legal Project Management (Yellow Belt Certification Course), Required for Concentration in Legal Technology and Innovation – Spring Semester 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022
George Washington University Master’s in Law Firm Management – Alexandria – May 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019
Collaboration and Innovation Workshop – December 2018, Ark
PLLIP Summit 2018 – Keynote Address, Catherine Alman MacDonagh, JD
P3 Conference – The Practice Innovation Conference, Legal Marketing Association: May 2018, May 2019
ALA Boston Summer Workshop – July 2019
ALA Specialty Conference – September 2018
ALA Annual Conference – May 2018 and 2019
ALA Regional Conferences – Nashville, October 2017 and Las Vegas, September 2017
Legal Marketing Association 2017 Annual Conference – Pre-Conference Session – March 27, 2017, Las Vegas
Legal Sales and Service Organization’s Annual RainDance Conference 2017
Law Firm Alliance – Webinar – October 2016
Boston Bar Association – Strategic Planning Retreat – October 2016
ALA Corporate Symposium – Washington DC – September 2016
ALA Intellectual Property – Washington DC – September 2016
Legal Marketing Association, Capital Chapter – September 2016
OH ACC Signature Event – Legal Lean Sigma and Project Management White Belt Certification Course – August 2016
ALA Annual Conference – Los Angeles – 2016
Legal Marketing Association – Annual Conference – White Belt Certification Course (pre-conference session) – 2015 (San Diego), 2016 (Austin)
ALA MN Conference – Session 1. Using Legal Lean Sigma and Project Management to Drive Innovation and Create Competitive Advantages Session 2. What Clients Want: How to Price Work and get Hired
LMA’s P3 Conference – Chicago 2014, 2015 (Process Mapping Workshop: A Key PI/LPM Tool), 2016 (Using Lean Sigma to Creative Competitive Advantages)
Ark Group – Legal Lean Sigma® Process Improvement and Project Management White Belt and Yellow Belt Certification Course (NY, San Francisco, Chicago) 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019
Meritas Annual Meeting – Boston, May 2014
Legal Marketing Association – New England Chapter Regional Conference -11.14.14 – Boston
LMA Annual Conference: Big Data for Legal Marketers – Orlando, April 2014
LMA’s P3 Conference – LLSI is proud to be a supporting organization starting in 2014
ARK’s Pricing and Profitability Conference – San Francisco, 9/19/13
ARK’s PI and LPM Workshop – San Francisco, 9/19/13
ALA Annual Conference 2013 – Catherine Alman MacDonagh, LLSI CEO, presented a program entitled “Driving Efficiency and Profitability: Process Improvement First, Then Project Management, Washington, DC.
ACC Chicago: THE PROCESS IMPROVEMENT AND PROJECT MANAGEMENT EQUATION: VOC + PI + PM = EVERYONE WINS – Catherine Alman MacDonagh, LLSI CEO and Timothy B. Corcoran of Corcoran Consulting Group, participated with Florie Perellis of Allstate and Marilyn McClure Demurs of Nationwide January 2013.
Listen to Stephen Poor’s interview with Catherine Alman MacDonagh, a lawyer, entrepreneur, and CEO and founder of the Legal Lean Sigma Institute, formed out of Catherine’s interest in “harnessing the power of teams.”
Authored by Catherine Alman MacDonagh, JD, this is the first publication of its kind to provide in-depth strategic and tactical guidance on the application of Lean and Six Sigma in law firms, the different approaches firms are taking, where and how to get started, and case studies highlighting the results experienced by firms that have employed Lean Six Sigma methodologies and tools.
Please CLICK HERE for a sample chapter, summary, and the Foreword by Thomas L. Sager, Former General Counsel and Senior Vice President, DuPont Legal.
Listen to Legal Lean Sigma Institute CEO Catherine Alman MacDonagh’s interview on Lean Six Sigma for Lawyers with Bentley Tolk, JD
The Legal Lean Sigma Institute faculty and consultants have authored and contributed to these publications:
- Redefining Matter Management: A Best Practice Guide to Improving Processes and Profitability
- The Lawyer’s Guide to Project Management
- The Bigger Picture: Driving Client Value Through Collaboration
- The Lawyer’s Guide to Process Improvement
- The Procurement Handbook